HAZARDOUS MATERIALS RELEASE
Do not enter the area containing the spill.
This is what will happen:
University Police will:
1. Notify the appropriate agencies
2. Notify Environmental Health & Safety Office: 4424 (318-357-4424)
3. Notify emergency medical services as needed by each situation.
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS
Natchitoches Fire Department (318) 357-3860
Natchitoches Police Department (318) 352-8101
Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s Office (318) 352-6432
Louisiana State Police Troop E (318) 487-5911 (Natchitoches, Alexandria, etc)
Louisiana State Police Troop G (318) 741-7411 (Shreveport)
In the event of a Truck Delivery with a Hazardous Materials Release/Spill,
1. Call University Police IMMEDIATELY at 5431 (318-357-5431)
2. Obtain the manifest from the driver. All manifests, for any freight company, should be located in the driver’s side door pocket.
3. Evacuate the immediate area.
4. DO NOT cause any sparks, since you have not identified the chemical that is spilled or released.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL INCIDENTS
Off-Campus but that affect the Campus
These are incidents that may occur in the City of Natchitoches that will affect the campus, by evacuations or sheltering in place.
This is what you should do:
1. Notify University Police at 318-357-5431.
2. If directed; evacuate the building and move to a designated safe location.
3. If informed to Shelter-in-Place - close all windows and doors to the outside.
4. If you feel irritation from the release substance, hold a wet cloth over your nose and mouth.
5. Minimize the use of elevators. Elevators tend to “pump” outdoor air in and out of a building as they travel up and down.
6. Tune your radio or TV to local stations for further information and guidance.
7. If an airborne release: The lead time of an airborne release could be from zero to thirty minutes. As a result, this short time may not allow for a safe evacuation.